What is naturopathic medicine?
In a nutshell, naturopathic medicine is preventative medicine. New patients at our clinic are scheduled to see the doctor for a one hour consultation at their first visit. This one hour visit allows the doctor to get a complete overview of your health history and begin formulating a treatment plan to address your issues. Naturopathic medicine is systemic, which means that many lifestyle factors are taken into account during your initial assessment.
Naturopathic physicians practice according to six founding principles:
- First Do No Harm – primum non nocere
- The Healing Power of Nature – vis medicatrix naturae
- Discover and Treat the Cause, Not Just the Effect – tolle causam
- Treat the Whole Person – tolle totum
- The Physician is a Teacher – docere
- Prevention is the best “cure” – praevenire
When it comes to practicing orthopedic medicine in a naturopathic context you can expect a full overview of your pain symptoms. Both of our clinicians are thoroughly trained in orthopedic examinations and perform them as necessary to diagnose the root cause of your pain symptoms. The doctor will also discuss your lifestyle with you to to attempt to pinpoint any additional contributing factors.
In some cases, other modalities are employed to provide a complete treatment plan for your pain. These may include:
- Massage therapy and physical therapy.
- Laser and SCENAR therapy.
- Hormonal therapy.
- Dietary evaluation and therapy.
- Vitamin or nutrient therapy.
For primary care issues that extend beyond the scope of our practice we are happy to refer you to a specialist in our referral network.
Are you ready for flu season? Ask us about our holistic alternatives to the traditional flu shot!